Making your own muesli really doesn't have to be hard, and it can be a fun family activity.
Most of us don’t realise how much sugar is in the cereals and store bought mueslis we buy and how in fact some of them should probably be labelled as confectionary rather than “wholegrain nutrient goodness.”
We've all heard the saying breakfast in the most important meal of the day, and whilst we'd say every meal is important, here's why breakfast gets the thumbs up:
For parents, research shows the importance of educating parents on healthy eating as it is found children model those closest to them, especially in early childhood.
For all of us, a healthy breakfast helps to:
- Increase positive moods and energy
- Increase intake of vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre and decrease intake of cholesterol and fat
- Decrease the likelihood of obesity
- Improve our healthy habits around food
Every time we pick up supermarket cereals, it’s quite shocking to see what the marketing teams behind these cereals are allowed to get away with. Let’s take one of my favourites and consider it for a second. Nutri-grain...
Firstly the name. Nutri (that’s short for nutrition or nutritious right?) and Grain, well that’s healthy, natural and a good source of complex carbohydrates.
Then the packaging. Corn- Oats – Wheat. No problems there. Corn is basically a vegetable. Oats and Wheat are whole grains.
Then it’s got Protein “For muscle development” Calcium “For Bone strength” And Carbs “For Energy”
This product sounds great so far doesn’t it!?
Then you think of their advertising campaigns. Iron Man. “You only get out what you put in” They show teenage boys growing into fit healthy young men by eating nutrigrain and Mum feeling great about making sure their kids have got enough energy to complete an iron man challenge!! Not to mention why young girls can't be fit and active too?
How do they get away with it? Nutri-grain is 32% sugar. It’s the second largest ingredient after flour.
These other sugar contents are shocking too:
|Kellogg’s Coco pops
|Kellogg’s Special K
|Be Natural. Pink Lady Apple
|Uncle Toby’s Plus Fibre
|Uncle Toby’s Natural Style Muesli
Overall, many of the cereals we buy at the supermarket are:
- Highly processed
- Full of processed and refined grains (during this process a lot of the naturally occurring vitamins are lost, so they are then artificially added later)
- Additives, preservatives and other nasties
- High in salt
It’s scary to think that 25% of Australian children under the age of 18 are now overweight or obese and research is showing that if you’re overweight in your childhood, there’s an 80% chance that you’ll be overweight or obese as an adult.
Several studies have found a direct link between the increase in sugar consumption and obesity in childhood.
If we can target and improve these behaviours from an early age and teach children about the importance of choosing healthy foods most of the time, in particular by starting the day with a healthy, low or no sugar breakfast, then we set them up with positive habits to carry for their lives.
Ok so on a positive note!!
- Mixing your own muesli means you know exactly what’s in it.
- Getting kids involved with mixing it up means they’re learning about what’s in their breakfast. They can add the ingredients they like and leave out the ones they don’t.
- It’s affordable. You can buy each ingredient in bulk as they store very well for up to months.
- It’s versatile, in winter you can make porridge. Or bircher muesli. Add fresh fruit, milk or yoghurt.
- Nutritionally Dense, meaning you’re getting a wide range of vitamins and minerals in just one meal.
- 100% Wholefoods, minimally processed.
And most importantly, there's always an overwhelming amount of feedback to say that it's DELICIOUS!
The easiest way to make a sugar free muesli at home is:
Step 1: Grab a box of KOJA Breakfast Toppers
Step 2: Mix in a bowl with 500g of natural oats, or gluten free grains.
Step 3: That's it. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
https://vslevitrav.com/ – levitra online pharmacyOn April 22, 2021
I love all the breakie products, however the coconut peacan salad topper is so morish I eat straight from the packet, it is so yummie…won’t last long !!!! It’s a great addition to any meal. Koja is the best healthy addition to food I’ve seen in a long time. This will be a staple in my diet from now on.On May 17, 2015
The turn around on my order to delivery was so quick. I live in country victoria, ordered after shark tank and received it by Wednesday. Well done Koja and thank you