This recipe was developed by Millie Padula, Accredited Nutritionist, Accredited Practising Dietitian and founder of Dietitian Edition.
Everyone loves enjoying a healthier version of their favourite take-out, especially when its filled with flavour, extra vegetables and is super easy to make.
These burrito bowls can easily be made to suit your food preferences and altered to accommodate for your dietary needs.
They are filled with protein and prebiotic fibres from the combination of legumes which means we are kept nice and full and our gut bugs remain happy and healthy.
The variety of vegetables help us tick off our nutrient goals and the avocado is a great source of healthy fats.
It is optional to top your bowl with Greek yoghurt or shredded cheese, this is something we recommend as both of these foods are a great source of calcium.
You can make this bean mixture in a larger quantity and pop it in the freezer to be used for other meals - we love a time-saving hack here at KOJA.
What you will need:
- 1 can of 4 bean mix
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, mined
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp of sweet paprika
- 1 stock cube or 1 tbsp of powdered stock of your choice
- 1 large carrot, diced (leave the skin on for extra fibre)
- 1 cup of potatoes (we used a combination of white potatoes and sweet potatoes)
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 400g of tomato passata
- 2 cups of water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chilli Flakes or 1 sliced fresh chilli (optional)
- 1 large avocado
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Coriander (optional)
For the rest of the bowl:
- 1 cup of your favourite corn chips
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- ½ large cucumber, diced
- 1 heaped tbsp of Greek yoghurt
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Fresh Lime
- You can also serve this dish with your favourite grains: rice, quinoa, barley, noodles, pasta, buckwheat etc.
To make the Bean Mix:
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and capsicum with the paprika and stock, stirring occasionally until the onion has become transparent
- Add the water and potatoes and allow to simmer for a few minutes before adding the beans and passata.
- To thicken the mixture, allow it took for 20-30 minutes. This will give the water time to absorb the starch from the beans and potatoes.
To make the Guacamole:
- Smash all of your ingredients in a bowl, it’s that easy!
Constructing your Bowls:
- Place all the ingredients into a serving bowl.
- Top with fresh lime, greek yoghurt, cheese and coriander if you wish
- Pop on your sombrero’s and enjoy!
Serves: 4 (or 2 + leftovers!)