This delicious recipe comes from the lovely Rebecca of The Orange Kitchen. Rebecca's a healthy recipe guru and she's kindly shared her deliciously healthy sweet potato chips recipe with us. These chips are made with 100% veggies and are a great snack or side dish. She's also included her Garlic and Avocado Dipping Sauce to dip those chips straight into!
This recipe takes hot chips to a whole new level...
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- Herbs and Spices - We love Paprika & Thyme Leaves (dried or fresh)
- 1/2 Lemon (just for squeezing over as you serve)
- Take a large saucepan and fill it up with water. Place on the stove and bring to the boil.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan-forced).
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into chip sized pieces or wedges. Don't cut them too thick as they won't bake as well, about 1.5cm thick at the most is ideal.
- Place all of the sweet potatoes sliced in the water to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Take a baking tray and line it with some baking paper. Drain the potatoes and place the fries on the tray, spreading them out as much as possible - a mountain of potato in the oven will not go crispy.
- Take your spices, which can really be anything you like although my favourite combo is listed above, and generously sprinkle them over the top of the fries. Then bake in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don't burn. They won't go as brown as the conventional chip because they don't have any oil on them, but when they start to brown slightly and get crispy, they're cooked!
Note: If you're short on time, you could skip the boiling stage, although your fries won't be as crispy and delicious. I would definitely recommend taking the time to boil the sweet potato first!
Garlic and Avocado Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Brown Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Scoop the inside of the avocado out into a blender. Roughly chop the onion and then add to the blender along with the garlic. Blend on high speed until well combined. You may need to scrape the sides of the blender down a few times - onion has a habit of getting stuck on the sides and not blending!
- Scoop into a small bowl and dip away to your heart's content!
About The Orange Kitchen:
The Orange Kitchen was born out of a desire live a healthier, happier and more wholesome life whilst still getting to enjoy delicious food. The site operates on a philosophy that healthy eating need not be boring, creating nutritious and enjoyable every day meals is easier than you think and that eating in abundance is possible!