What's a festive celebration without a salad? Non existent!
Thankfully, our mixed grain, cherry and broccolini salad is like no other, and makes for the perfect accompaniment to a BBQ with loved ones.
The robust flavour from the cherries adds an ever so slightly sweetness that will have you coming back for more. And In true KOJA style, we couldn't possibly give you a recipe that wasn't full of nutritional value too. This ones high in fibre to keep you fuller for longer and contains an abundance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to keep your immunity strong and health thriving.
Here's how to make it:
- 1 cup of rice/quinoa blend
- 1 bunch of broccolini
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 bunch of coriander (if you dislike coriander, swap for another herb of your choice)
- 1/2 cup of cherries - stems removed, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup of pepita seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 3 tbsp of feta cheese
1. Boil a large pot of water and cook rice/quinoa blend according to packet instructions. This will take between 25-30 minutes so get your grains in first!
2. Cut the broccolini into small portions and set aside. You will add this to the boiling water to quickly blanch just prior to draining the rice.
3. Finely chop the coriander and parsley and place into a large salad bowl with the cherries
4. Add the broccolini to the boiling water for 5 minutes before the rice is ready. Drain and allow to cool for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Combine the rice, broccolini and pepita seeds with the herbs and cherries and mix generously.
6. Dress with extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, feta cheese (optional) and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Enjoy and be merry!
If you re-create this recipe (or any of our recipes), don't forget to tag @kojahealth.
Recipe created by Millie Padula - Accredited Practising Dietitian and Nutritionist from Dietitian Edition