Super Easy Pumpkin Soup
I'm sure many of you know how to make a pumpkin soup and it's hopefully a winter staple for you, as it is for us. However, we feel a duty to share this recipe for those who don't know:
- How easy it is to make soup
- How delicious it is
- For anyone who's feeling sad about the colder weather! ;)
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Pumpkin - About 1kg, but more or less works too. Any kind, whatever you find at the farmers market or supermarket.
- 1 or 2 Onions - Brown or Red, check the bottom of the pantry for whatever needs using up!
- A couple of cloves of Garlic
- 4 Carrots
- A good organic veggie stock
- A small can of coconut cream
This recipe is pretty fool proof so don't worry too much about the quantities, just use up all the pumpkin you buy and feel free to add leeks, sweet potato, other veggies or herbs. Sometimes I only have coconut milk in the pantry and that works absolutely fine too- the coconut cream is just a little richer.
I have a food processor with a dicing setting which makes this very quick to prepare. Use this or something like it if you have one.
- Peel and chop the pumpkin, onion, garlic and carrots into small pieces
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan, add a little oil and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes
- When softened (not browned) add the pumpkin and carrots and cover with enough stock and warm water to just cover the veggies. (I use about 1/3 stock and 2/3 water) Add black pepper here too
- Cover and simmer for about 30 mins. Once the carrot and pumpkin is soft, Barmix until smooth and let it cool for 10 mins.
- Lastly stir in the coconut cream and enjoy.
Keeps in the fridge for a few days or you can freeze some.
Pumpkin and Carrots are high in Vitamin A for healthy vision and a strong immune system. They're also great sources of Vitamin C which is needed for your immune system and prevention of some diseases.
Best of all it's soul warming for this time of year, as the seasons change. Enjoy! xx