Hop into your Easter long weekend with these low sugar Hot Cross Buns
1. 4 & 1/4 cups of wholemeal all purpose flour, sifted
2. 1 tbsp of dried yeast
3. 1 cup of lukewarm milk of your choice
4. 50g of melted butter
5. 1 egg
6. 4 tbsp of rice malt syrup
7. 2 tsp of cinnamon
8. 2 tsp of allspice
9. 1 tsp of nutmeg
10. 1-2 apple, grated OR replace with 1 cup of Sultanas
11. 1/2 cup of water
1. 1/2 cup flour
2. 1/3 cup of water
1. 1/4 cup of boiling water
2. 3 tbsp of Rice Malt Syrup
3. 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Activate the yeast by placing it in a small cup with 1/2 cup of water. Once it begins to froth, this means it’s activated (this will take about 5 minutes)
2. Place the remaining ingredients with the activated yeast in a large bowl and combine until a sticky dough is formed
3. Place a small amount of flour onto a clean surface and knead the dough until it is elastic (you can tell this is the case if you push down and the dough bounces back). This step will take around 8 minutes.
4. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a cloth for 1hr.
5. Cut the dough into 12 pieces and roll into balls. Place them close together on a oiled and lined baking tray. Set aside for an additional 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
6. In a piping or zip lock bag, combine the flour and water for the crosses. Snip a small hole into the corner of using a zip lock bag. Draw onto the buns and place into the oven for 35 minutes.
7. Prepare the glaze by placing the sugar and cinnamon into the boiling water. Ensure all sugar is dissolved. Sweep onto warm buns and enjoy!
Gut Health, Health, Healthy, Healthy Body, Healthy mind, Nutrition Next Post Previous Post